[Kde-kiosk] Locking Down KDE

Stynx anne at wms.to
Wed Apr 16 17:36:10 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 10:22, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> You can still start a simple window manager. Or e.g. kwin only.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo
Waldo explained this before in this mailinglist:
[quote]
I think you basically just don't want to start most of KDE.

Edit the startkde script and:
* Remove the part with kpersonalizer
* Remove ksplash
* Change
        LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify
into
        LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify +kwin

* Replace
        kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
  with a command to start mozilla.

When mozilla exits, the user will be logged out.

You can use/change xsetroot to change the background.

If you want to have a panel you can add "+kicker" behind "+kwin", in that case
you probably also want to use KDE 3.1 and subsequently lock kicker down.

Since mozilla is not part of KDE, I don't know if/how you can tell mozilla
that it should only be used for the database application and not for e.g.
www.slashdot.org.

In case mozilla doesn't support it (But I suppose it does) you can use
konqueror of KDE 3.1, which allows you to restrict the things it can browse.

All of the above suggestions are out of the top of my head and untested but
should get you in the right direction hopefully :-)

[/quote]

I wonder if this is possible with Konqueror, and than the way I want to use
it:
kstart --fullscreen kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing [url]
Clueless replacing 'kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM' with that command, and adding
+kwin to 'LD_BIND_NOW' does not work.
How much of kde do you need to start to use 'kstart'?

Cheers,
Annemieke
--
rm is a state of the art compression tool for unix platforms that is able to
compress any arbitrary sequence of data into no data, thus achieving a