[Kde-kiosk] Large deployments (Was: Experiences with KDE-CVS at LinuxWorldExpo)

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:11:59 +0100

>* KDE needs to have an easy to configure desktop in "kiosk" mode.
>* KDE needs to have an interface to draw the user configuration
>    for each user from a database (where each single application
>    allowed or denied for a user is defined).
>* KDE needs utilities which make it easy for an administrator to
>    configure, roll out and run 1000 user desktops (a "lost" configuration
>    must be restored within a minute or less).
>* KDE need at the same time to retain the flexibility to have all
>    these 1000 settings different (for different needs).
>* KDE needs to be able to serve the same user profile to a users
>    wherever he logs in (a different physical machine, but the same
>    desktop and user profile).
>
>When 3.1 is out of the door, I will probably make an attempt to
>get this issue tackled by a group of people.

Several people have already responded with solutions that are
available today. Let me focus on some things that can be worked on
from a KDE point of view.

The Kiosk framework could benefit from a GUI to set things up. Along
the same lines it would be great IMO if KControl could be used to
configure the default settings for _all_ users or for groups of users
taking advantage of the multiple directories supported by KDEDIRS.
Another useful ability would be if one could easily move users in and
out of groups created that way. That's currently not covered by KDE:
KDE expects KDEDIRS to be set up already when KDE starts, but how it
gets set is left to the reader^Wuser.

What is needed is a more or less standard way to store somewhere such
user-specific information: specific per-user
restrictions/clearances/privileges, the group(s) a user is part of
and the defintion of such a group in terms of a specific KDEDIRS
settings. Unlike most personal information, a user's home-directory
might not be the best place to store this since the user itself is
not supposed to change it.

Once there is some sort of standard for this (something LDAP based
comes to mind) it's straightforward to provide a GUI for configuring
it.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have already implemented
solutions like this for their specific situation, I would like to
invite them to join kde-kiosk@kde.org and share their experiences so
that we can use that as bases for building an off-the-shelve GUI
based solution.