[Kde-kiosk] [Introduction] Tim Brodie

Tim Brodie kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:03:56 -0500

My current role is described as "IT Manager", but my
responsibilities include everything from sysadmin
through to CIO type planning.

My employer is a manufacturer of high quality point-
of-purchase displays, as well as acrylic, millwork
and metal store fixturing.

We are a high growth company, tracking at between
80-100% growth per year through our 3 year history.

Our IT infrastructure is almost exclusively linux
(based on RH7.1) supporting smb, imap/ssl, smtp,
http, nis/nfs, dhcp, cups, postgresql.  We have
currently 4 locations interconnected over the internet
via frees/wan's ipsec implementation.

Our workstations are based on Mandrake 8.1.  We
have several M$ doze98 workstations left, but are
migrating over the next month to be linux. We
are standardizing on KDE 2.2.1 until 3 is stable
and will be moving forward at that time.

Our main 2 issues have been a decent accounting
application, and a decent CAD package.  We believe
we have found the accounting package (appgen
mymoney pro), and are on the short list for the
CAD package.

We will likely have 2 laptops and 1 workstation
remain doze98 to ensure we can read/work with
documents generated by our clients, but I'm not
sure how long we'll really need them.

I'm currently writing an mrp system for the
company based on KDE/Qt/PostgreSql, and am
really enjoying it.

I expect to be implementing LDAP for authentication,
and move our workstations to LTSP "terminals"
(prossibly booting from CDs) over the next year.
I also expect to implement a fax gateway
(probably hylafax) and would like to be able
to handle distribution of the TIFFs to the
appropriate person.

Although I have twenty years of IT experience, I've
only been developing software and sysadmin'ing
in the linux world for two years.  I'm looking
forward to hearing from some older brothers
when needing to discuss issues that require
some experience and vision.

Regards...

--
Tim Brodie, IT Manager