[Kde-kiosk] Lock screen & disabling non-KDE logins (was re: Lock screen)

Martijn Klingens kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:35:38 +0100

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 00:29, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> BTW - Off-topic, but can anyone suggest a good HOWTO or README on
> disabling tty and remote access for a particular user?
>
> (e.g., I _only_ want this particular user to be able to log in via KDE.
> I suppose in the tty console, I could have the account set up to
> automagically logout immediately after logging in - an old Unix account
> trick people played on each other back in college :^) )

This is something more people probably would like - leaving the console for
the admins and prohibiting it from the users.

My best bet is a custom PAM module that refuses console or remote logins from
certain accounts, although a more 'KDE-ish' solution would be favourable.
Unfortunately KDM login doesn't seem to work either when the shell is set to
/usr/bin/false or something similar. If I have time later today I'll try to
play around a bit with this since I could use it for a small kiosk project at
work too, but that one has a touch screen and no keyboard, so it's not
exactly top prio to disable ctrl-alt-fX ;-)