[Kde-kiosk] Zero setup?

Martijn Klingens kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:52:04 +0200

On Sunday 21 April 2002 20:57, Tarjei wrote:
> Hi, my name is Tarjei, I'm a sysadmin short of time (who isn't).
>
> There's none thing that bothers me about kde, windows and (maybe) gnome.
> Usersetup of things that should be automated - for example the kmail files.
>
> Now, is there a way that I can create the deafults for my users kmail
> files , including setting username based on the user in one global
> config file? I.e. that when user henning logs on he gets everything and
> only needs to insert his password? Also, is this also possible for
> kdepim etc? Would it be possible even (ghasp! ) for apps like moxilla
> and openoffice.
>
> I understand this is thought of as a sysadmin list so I frame the
> question here.
> Thanks for any tips!

You can put a preconfigured config file in $KDEDIR/share/config for every app
that needs customization. You can put everything in that is system-specific,
but not user-specific. User-specific stuff can be put in a small shell script
wrapper around useradd or whatever tool you use to add the user
customizations in ~user/.kde/share/config using some simple perl or sed
magic.

Shouldn't be too hard to work out if everything is properly installed. But if
you have questions nevertheless, feel free to drop a note on this list.

Martijn