[Kamoso] Streaming to an IceCast Server

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 19:47:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:34 PM, David Narvaez
<david.narvaez at computer.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 09/11/2011 12:37 AM, Aleix Pol wrote:
> >>
> >> Feasability is not a problem I think, my biggest concern would be that
> >> its target user is quite far to the usual Kamoso user and it might
> >> clutter the UI a little...
> >>
> >> Maybe we could have a command line option that adds geeky stuff? :P
> >
> > Maybe we can just turn the current "modes" into actual plugins so more
> stuff can go in there if needed, what do you think?
>
> Sorry for the delay, had a rough weekend. Here are some thoughts:
>
> I probably haven't sold the feature in the right way. We are first
> trying to make a SaaS to do free (as in free speech) streaming based
> on IceCast technology etc, but making it easy as UStream or Twitcam.
> Ideally, we want to have integration to some cool webcam apps like
> Kamoso, but as a user-friendly feature, not like a geeky-feature.
> Think of it as having Identi.ca in the KDE-Microblogging plasmoid. So
> at the end the only feature we'll really need is just "Stream to
> <SomeNameForTheSaaS>" where you'll just put an URL and you'll stream
> to your friends etc. But in the meantime, we'd like to use Kamoso
> itself for our testings so having the streaming feature maybe in our
> own branch apart from main development would be enough for the moment.
>
> We're definitely not trying to suit Kamoso for advanced users but on
> the contrary, bringing advanced streaming to end  users in a very
> social fashion. Sounds better?
>
> David E. Narvaez

I guess... but we also must provide something really easy to deploy, if we
want everyone to use it. We can't rely on 3rd party services, for
instance. Otherwise it could get frustrating.

In my opinion, the best thing would be that you opened a new kamoso branch
called streaming (or something like that) and work on it, and once the
feature is ready somehow (or testable at least) we can get back at deciding
what can we do to make it really good for the users, as in usable.

We have tried to make Kamoso something really easy to use, such feature can
be very powerful but it can be weird as well for some people...

Sounds good?
Aleix