[Kamoso] Streaming to an IceCast Server

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Fri Sep 9 04:52:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM, David Narvaez
<david.narvaez at computer.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I contacted Aleix about our interest to leverage some desktop webcam
> applications to do video broadcasting. Our current main goal is
> streaming to an IceCast server. I had a look at Kamoso's code and even
> though there's no streaming capability right now, I think it would be
> fairly easy to use GStreamer's shout2send sink and some configuration
> dialogs to implement that feature. Also, Aleix told me he had some
> streaming code he could incorporate easily into Kamoso.
>
> The way I see it is:
> * Add a streaming button after the record button
> * User clicks it, and a dialog appears. The user can specify hostname,
> username, password and mountpoint of the stream (there are a billion
> more settings for the sink, which we could implement through an
> 'Advanced >>' button in the dialog)
> * User clicks Ok and he's off streaming
>
> In the code, it would probably mean:
> * Adding a startBroadcasting() method in the WebcamWidget
> * Doing pretty much the same you do when you start recording, but
> adding the shout2send sink at the end
>
> What do you think?

The attached patch is a proof of concept, which works with an Icecast
server configured with the attached XML. This is obviously not ready
for production, but  gives an idea of the whole streaming thing. Any
improvements are always welcome.

David E. Narvaez