Re: Meaning of 零さん?

Fumiaki Okushi fumiaki.okushi @ gmail.com
2022年 10月 2日 (日) 19:50:50 BST

Hi Friedrich, thanks for contacting the list!

Speaking as a native Japanese speaker (but with a long history of living
outside Japan, meaning not always up-to-date with modern Japanese
language usage), I highly doubt that a Japanese speaker will be able to
deduce the reading "kobosan" given "零さん".  My reasons are as follows:

- The reading "kobo" for "零" is non-standard.  (It is not in the
"常用漢字表".)
- The reading "kobo" for "零" is used as part of the verb "こぼす" (meaning
to spill).  Because Japanese verbs conjugate, they are always followed
by specific suffixes and "さん" is not a possible suffix (at least in the
standard language).

On the other hand, when given "零さん", I would expect a Japanese speaker
to read it as "reisan" and it could mean "Mr/Ms Zero".  (Note, "さん"
could be used for both gender.)

When hearing "kobosan" (assuming all short vowels), it doesn't seem to
mean anything to me.  (Japanese language distinguishes between long and
short vowels.  For example, the "o" in "So" of "Sokoban" is a long
vowel.  If it was pronounced as a short vowel, I don't think it would
mean anything.)

Other random bits..

There is a computer game series called "零" (but I believe it is read
"ゼロ" "zero".)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9B%B6_(%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0)

"kobochan" "コボちゃん" is a well-known cartoon character.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9C%E3%81%A1%E3%82%83%E3%82%93

Hope this helps.

Fumi(aki) Okushi