[Kde-java] Re: GCJ (Re: Build system for KDE4)

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 14:33:32 CEST 2005

Thomas Zander said:
> Ehm; no. I don't agree on that goal. If thats the goal then expect pretty
> bad uptake from Java programmers.
> At FosDem I talked to the java-gnome bindings guy and he created a lot of
> stuff that is not in the gnome libraries (event handling for example);
> and that works. People use that.

Adding stuff is fine, changing existing stuff is not. The reason is that
if you need to solve problem X there are tons of pages in Google, on
developer.kde.org and wherenot that reference C++ code. It's a shame if
you can't easily adapt all that knowledge onto an other language.

That reminds me too much of when I was programming Delphi code in the old
days, most of the examples that you could find were either in Visual Basic
or in C using winapi, neither of which were easily converted to Delphi
code.

Likewise, I don't think Microsoft has its C# API fundamentally different
from VB.net or C++.net. that would be a similar problem.

For all practical purposes a clean API is not as important as being able
to leverage existing code and documentation IMNSHO.

(Snipping the rest of your mail as my reply would basically boil down to
this. As for me assuming C++ developers will switch to Java, I didn't even
really consider that optionn yet, what made you think I was after that
goal?)

--
Martijn