[Kde-java] Where is QMap

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 07:18:52 CEST 2004

On Saturday 02 October 2004 20:46, David Goodenough wrote:
> Perhaps what is needed (and I will try to do it over the next few days) is
> to get my head around the differences, try to document them, and see
> if there is another way to provide the functionality.  Obviously (at least
> to me) keeping it java-like is important, but where functionality is
> genuinely missing extension is useful.  Keeping it Qt/KDE like is also
> important given that the majority of the documentation and books
> for Qt/KDE are written in C++ not Java, so keeping the surprises to
> a minimum is also good.
It seems about right to me, but it still might be a good idea to revisit
design decisions I made three years ago. I started working on the next
version of the java bindings based on the 'Smoke' library, at the end of last
year, and we had a discussion on this list then about what could be improved.
Type safe emitting of signals is one thing for instance. And the KDE classes
need to be split up into sub packages with shorter names than
'org.kde.koala.*'.

> I have not even looked at QDate yet.
I think there might be an argument for ditching Calendar and replacing it with
QDate. Whenever I've tried to do anything with Calendar I've found it
hopeless. Or maybe have methods for both.

> I am by the way, making good progress through the next example in the
> Qt manual (having almost got the conversion form working properly) so
> soon I will have working examples of the colour tool (sorry, I tend to
> spell things in English not American) in Java.
Sounds good. I translated a couple of tutorials from C++ to ruby and put them
up on the KDE Developer's Corner website. So we could do the same for Java. I
did the cannon gameboard one - the sources for that are already in QtJava, so
that wouldn't be difficult. And I was going to do the gameboard one Qt
Designer for ruby too.

> I do intend to write up a HOWTO which will be aimed at use of Eclipse
> and Qt Designer, but of more general interest as well as it will be a
> companion guide so that people can take the Qt manual examples and
> produce the Java equivalent.  Initially this will be on one of my web sites
> but if this is felt to be more useful it can be moved wherever anyone
> wants to put it.
Yes, anything like that would be very welcome on the KDE Developer's corner. I
don't know if anyone has done a project template for Eclipse for both Qt and
KDE app, but that would be very useful and shouldn't be much work I wouldn't
have thought. I haven't looked into what KDevelop java support is like
recently, but the java app template produces code which doesn't compile last
time I heard, which nobody seemed to fix.

-- Richard