[Kde-bindings] Re: [Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 11:11:31 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 14:26, Werner Punz wrote:
> >I thought everyone who used Eclipse was mad on SWT - they never talk about
> >QtJava or KDE Koala java, so I didn't think there was any interest out
> > there. But I don't really think like the people who post on JavaLobby,
> > I'm not a java advocate, it's just a programming language to me. So it's
> > difficult for me to tell who they see non-Swing, non-SWT development GUI
> > development.
> >

> No in fact I prefer Swing for my own guis and just love eclipse because
> it is a really good tool. SWT has lots of shortcomings itself (for
> instance performing lousier than Swing on Linux given the latest JDKs,
> looking uglier etc...)
I amazed SWT is even uglier and slower than these new JDKs which I personally
can't use.

> Eclipse simply is the best IDE you can get for free currently.
> KDevelop although being nice still is miles away unfortunately.
Would it be easy to do QtJava and Koala KDE java project templates for
Eclipse? There is one in KDevelop, so it might be possible to adapt that - it
has placeholders for the classnames, which get replaced with the actual
classname when you start a new project. It should be a matter of replacing
the placeholders in the sources with whatever Eclipse has as an equivalent.
What if you do a plugin or template - do they accept patches and put them in
their cvs, or would we need to maintain it in kdebindings?

-- Richard