[Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 09:34:22 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 08:02, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Anyway, it's of course up to you and the other kdejava developers to
> decide on this.  In the end, I don't think it matters much, people
> wanting to use the java bindings will not have too much trouble using
> gcj/gij, unless they really want to use the latest JDK features, I
> guess.
Well I develop on Linux PowerPC which is stuck on jdk 1.3.1, and probably a
dead port. There's no such thing as latest features for me, and I couldn't
use any 1.4 specific ones, let alone 1.5.

Sun are behaving strangly at the moment, and as they flail around trying to
make money out of java, and they could even start charging for the jdk if you
develop commercial apps with it. They're writing a closed source 3D desktop
instead of gnome, a swing app called Glow as a Evolution replacement, while
other sun employees are working on gnome itself. I think I've been reading
too many gnome blogs..

-- Richard