[Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Apr 16 09:02:39 CEST 2004

Richard Dale writes:

> On Thursday 15 April 2004 21:49, Dominique Devriese wrote:
>> Richard Dale writes:
>> > Maybe this is a rant, but I use LinuxPPC and the most recent
>> > version of the jdk is 1.3.1. Here is a mail to the
>> > java at gcc.gnu.org from Kevin Hendricks, who used to do Blackdown
>> > ports to LinuxPPC I thought.
>> >
>> > Lets all move to gcj, what is the point of supporting Sun's stuff
>> > unless we're paid - we don't need them?
>>
>> Are there specific problems with supporting the Sun and/or IBM JDKs
>> ?  I have no objection to remove the support, but if it's not too
>> much work, why not keep it for those who need it ?
> No problem at supporting the current JNI based bindings. They are
> entirely autogenerated, so they'll always be there. I can keep the
> api in step with version 2 of the bindings for KDE 3.3 - ie mainly
> type safe emit and splitting the kde classes up into packages.

Right.

> But I'm thinking of version 2 of the java bindings that use dynamic
> proxies, the Smoke library and AOP stuff. If I have to develop a JNI
> version as well as a CNI (gcj specific) version it would mean extra
> development time. JNI is really slow and harder to interface with
> C++ than CNI.

I see.

Anyway, it's of course up to you and the other kdejava developers to
decide on this.  In the end, I don't think it matters much, people
wanting to use the java bindings will not have too much trouble using
gcj/gij, unless they really want to use the latest JDK features, I
guess.

cheers
domi