[Kde-java] Qt Designer javaeditor plugin

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 22:41:39 CEST 2003

Hi Thomas, Marco

I've been hacking at the code in the Qt Designer cppeditor plugin to create a
Java version, it seems 'almost useful'. Here are my notes from the README
file:

javaeditor

This plugin allows Qt Designer to create a Java based project. It adds options
to create java sources - either an empty java source file or a QtJava top
level main(), which can be edited with java syntax highlighting.

Copy javaeditor_0.1.tar.gz to $QTDIR/tools/designer/plugins and untar. It will
create a javaeditor directory and add 'javaeditor' to the plugins.pro file.
Then configure and build Qt as normal.

TO DO

- The editor code completion popup shows C++ methods - is it possible to show
Java methods?
- More work needed on adding <some name>.ui.java instead of <some name>.ui.h
    and doing suitable java code merging when generating the java sources from
    the .ui files.
- Backwards java parsing in yyreg.cpp/.h doesn't work yet.

The QtJava top level is generated in sourcetemplateinterfaceimpl.cpp - it
should straightforward to add a similar option for Swing main() source file
generation too.

It's a shame the Qt Designer source file editing is MDI only, I haven't found
out how to 'undock' them into normal windows.

-- Richard