[Kde-java] Installation Question

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:32:47 +0000

On Friday 31 January 2003 6:06 am, Ali Naddaf wrote:
> I apologize in advance if my question has been already asked and answered;
> I tried to find my answer in the archive and couldn't quite find it.
>
> I would like to install whatever is necessary to have KDE-Java working; I
> am currently running kde3.1 which was released a few days ago. My main
> question is what else I need to install? Do I need a separate library or
> kdebindings and the standard kde3.1 will do the trick?
You need to install the libqtjava.so and libkdejava.so libraries, and the
qtjava.jar and koala.jar files (that's done by the 'make install' command in
kdebindings/qtjava and kdejava). Then make sure the two jar files are on your
CLASSPATH, and that you've run 'ldconfig' after installing the libs.

> If someone could point me to where I can find answers to my questions, that
> would be really appreciated.
>
> BTW, is there any documentation anywhere for kde-java? The KDeveloper site
> seems to be pretty old (and it only talks about the kde2/Qt2).
No there isn't much documentation I'm afraid. Look in the qtjava/README and
kdejava/README files. Build the javadoc documentation (it needs lots of
memory to run), and then go and look at the example programs and try them out
is probably the best way to start. See kdejava/koala/examples/kscribble for
an example KDE app to use as a possible starting point.

People have reported problems with hotspot on 1.3 and 1.4 jvms, so you may
need to turn off hotspot if you have unexpected crashes.

-- Richard