[Kde-java] Installation Question

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:06:42 +0000

On Saturday 08 February 2003 10:54 am, Marco Ladermann wrote:
> On Freitag, 7. Februar 2003 19:51, Gert-Jan van der Heiden wrote:
> > I use JDK 1.3 (provided with SuSE 8.1) with the -classic option.
> >
> > That is the only combination that I got the KDEJava bindings working on
> > SuSE 8.1
>
> You're right. It works with the Sun JVM 1.3.1 and the classic option, but
> the Blackdown JVM 1.3.1 throws with the classic option:
>
> kesrith@~/java(24) > java -classic -cp .:/opt/kde3/lib/java/qtjava.jar

> Just to repeat: The only way I got it running with every JVM (including
> 1.4.1) is to bind the lib against -lqt and NOT -lqt-mt. And frankly, I
> prefer to modify the jni-libraries instead of restricting the JVM.

I've just installed a PowerPC Linux with glibc 2.2.5/Blackdown jdk 1.3.1/qt-mt
on my new Apple iBook, and both QtJava and KDE java work fine, with or
without the '-classic' option. And the new Keramic style looks great on the
java apps, KDE is really getting quite pretty!

But I had to build the bindings and KDE with gcc 2.95, because KDE wouldn't
start up when I built it with gcc 3.2.1. It seemed to be something to do with
dynamic casts seg faulting. But the same compiler worked fine on my iMac with
an older Linux with glibc 2.2.3 - weird. So I've just downloaded gcc 3.2.2,
and I'll see if that works - I hope it does because I'm keen to get gcj
working and build/install suitable gcj interface libs for the bindings by
default.

-- Richard