[Kde-java] Qt and KDE java package names

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 17:50:52 CEST 2003

Hi Felix

On Friday 08 August 2003 15:00, Felix Rodriguez wrote:
> Richard,
>
>   Changing the packages names sounds OK. The only problem is I have a lot
> of code written with the old imports. Would it be possible to have the old
> package names available for backward compatibility?
I would much prefer to write conversion scripts to convert existing code,
rather than offer source level backwards compatibility, so I think we should
give that a high priority. But if the job couldn't be done with scripts we
have a problem. I'm actually encouraged that you have useful existing code -
I've tended to assume because this list has been so quiet there isn't much
interest, and backwards compatibility doesn't matter much.

These days, I only really get emails from people who want to build SWT on top
of Qt (not possible because of license problems), but the depressing thing is
that QtJava is technically ahead of SWT in one or two ways. eg WORA works,
look and feel is better, juic Qt Designer support on the way, and you can't
write KDE apps in SWT..

-- Richard