[Kde-java] Re: ANN: Java and C bindings regenerated for KDE 3.1

Adam Treat kde-java@kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:15:58 -0500

Hey Richard! SOOOooooo nice to have you back :-)

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 01:43 am, Richard Dale wrote:
> The Java bindings have been regenerated from the Qt 3.1 and KDE 3.1
> headers. Here's a summary of the changes:
>
> * Added SWT-style dispose() and isDisposed() methods. Normally resources
> are released in the finalize() methods - the underlying C++ instance is
> deleted. But if you have allocated a lot of QPixmaps that you no longer
> need, you can free them early with dispose() rather than wait for garbage
> collection.
>
> * Eventhandlers can be called from java, as well as subclassed. You can
> call the event handler in the super class like this:
>
>    protected void  viewportDragEnterEvent ( QDragEnterEvent e) {
> 	// Do java stuff
> 	// Call the existing event handler
> 	super.viewportDragEnterEvent (e);
>    }
>
> The *EventHandling.java interfaces have been removed as they are no longer
> needed.
>
> * Gert-Jan van der Heiden has made a start with DCOP support. He has added
> callbacks for the DCOPObject virtual methods and is experimenting with
> integrating the code from the dcopjava project.
>
> * Trolltech have kindly given me a commercial license (thankyou trolls!).
> This means that I can build binaries for the various platforms supported by
> commercial Qt (such as Mac OS X and Windows) and put them on the
> SourceForge QtJava site.

Oh, wow ... am jealous ;)

> * License changed from GPL to LGPL. I hope this helps with using the
> bindings as a base for a KDE SWT implementation, or LGPL'd AWTs etc. and it
> will allow commercial apps to be linked against QtJava.

Does this mean that QtC will change to LGPL too?  We have been moving away
from it, but this has prevented a similar change to LGPL for the Qt#
bindings.  BTW, I have successfully built QtC agains Qt non-commercial on
Windows, but I couldn't distribute do to incompatibility between
non-commercial and GPL'd libs.  I even have a Visual C++ project file if you
need one although maybe cross-compilation via mingw would be probably be
better.

> The KDE C bindings have been regenerated from the KDE 3.1 headers.The QtC
> bindings have not been regenerated, as they still compile against Qt 3.1
> (thanks to the qtsharp team), and it might have broken the qtsharp build.

I don't think it is possible to regenerate before the KDE3.1 release, but
perhaps we can do this for KDE3.1.1.  We tried to regenerate, but we
encountered problems with kalyptus and then the manual changes were unknown
to us.

> I'm sorry I haven't done much in the last six months, and haven't been
> keeping up with the kde mailing lists. After a long working day and
> stressful 3-4 hour daily commute, I've been feeling worn out. But I hope to
> be working full time for a month or two in the new year on bindings and
> related stuff like KDevelop.

Ouch, that's a long commute.  Glad to have you back!

Cheers,

Adam