[Kde-java] ANN: Java and C bindings regenerated for KDE 3.1

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:43:15 +0000

The Java bindings have been regenerated from the Qt 3.1 and KDE 3.1 headers.
Here's a summary of the changes:

* Added SWT-style dispose() and isDisposed() methods. Normally resources are
released in the finalize() methods - the underlying C++ instance is deleted.
But if you have allocated a lot of QPixmaps that you no longer need, you can
free them early with dispose() rather than wait for garbage collection.

* Eventhandlers can be called from java, as well as subclassed. You can call
the event handler in the super class like this:

   protected void  viewportDragEnterEvent ( QDragEnterEvent e) {
	// Do java stuff
	// Call the existing event handler
	super.viewportDragEnterEvent (e);
   }

The *EventHandling.java interfaces have been removed as they are no longer
needed.

* Gert-Jan van der Heiden has made a start with DCOP support. He has added
callbacks for the DCOPObject virtual methods and is experimenting with
integrating the code from the dcopjava project.

* Trolltech have kindly given me a commercial license (thankyou trolls!). This
means that I can build binaries for the various platforms supported by
commercial Qt (such as Mac OS X and Windows) and put them on the SourceForge
QtJava site.

* License changed from GPL to LGPL. I hope this helps with using the bindings
as a base for a KDE SWT implementation, or LGPL'd AWTs etc. and it will allow
commercial apps to be linked against QtJava.

The KDE C bindings have been regenerated from the KDE 3.1 headers.The QtC
bindings have not been regenerated, as they still compile against Qt 3.1
(thanks to the qtsharp team), and it might have broken the qtsharp build.

I'm sorry I haven't done much in the last six months, and haven't been keeping
up with the kde mailing lists. After a long working day and stressful 3-4
hour daily commute, I've been feeling worn out. But I hope to be working full
time for a month or two in the new year on bindings and related stuff like
KDevelop.

Regards
-- Richard Dale