[Kde-java] KPanelApplet

Richard Dale kde-java@kde.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:42:36 +0000

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 11:57 am, KJ P wrote:
> Hello Richard
>
> Yes looking back at the mailing list it was KSystemTray.  my bad.
>
> I have been trying this with KJavaProcess.  Maybe that is not the way to go
> and I should try to create a jvm from native code.
>
> The KJavaProcess is hanging me up for right now.  I have looked at the test
> examples and followed the code but to now avail.  I will try to look at
> another solution.  I guess it is time to go read about invoking the JVM.
> That and brushing up on my C++ skills plus learning the KDE and Qt
> libraries is burning a lot of candles :-)
Yes, you are dealing with some 'hot wax' in Qt/KDE. A good place to look for
an example of C++ wrapper code starting a jvm and invoking some java is in
kdevelop/parts/javasupport/javasupportfactory.cpp

> I also noticed that for a TODO item in the bindings there was something
> about creating another process like kdeinit called kdejavainit.  Is that
> ongoing?
'Ongoing' as in 'not yet started' - yes :) I think compiling with gcj would be
the best way to speed up start times. Thomas Kuhn has adapted the bindings to
work with gcj. But I haven't been able to check the changes in because gcj
doesn't work properly with overloaded methods on my machine.

> The DCOPClient in java is killing me as well.  I am not getting the
> response type and data back.  I can send to a DCOP interface as long as I
> am not expecting back data.  There is also a TODO item on this as well.  I
> can get the type and data back using the javadcop library and compiling
> agains the Client, DCOPRef, Response classes.  I just can not parse the
> DREF objects. Listing all the processes from a byte data is fine as long as
> there is a len:data associated in the byte array returned.  A little
> cumbersome to use in my opinion.  Maybe I should not be looking at this
> part because they are not finished?
They need serialization to be implemented first, the C++ '>>' and '<<'
operators translated into suitable java method names. Again Thomas Kuhn sent
me some interesting stuff on DCOP/serialization, which I haven't had any time
to do anything about. I think the more people who look at the 'not finished'
bits the better - so please carry on and find out what needs to be done..

-- Richard