[KDE-India] Akademy 2012

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:24:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Abhinav Badola <mail.abu.to at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are students who have just joined the KDE community allowed to participate
> in this year's Akademy'12. ?
>
> I am also a GSOC'12 student, but I have  started working with KDE-digiKam
> from this summer only.

Abhinav,

Akademy is open to everyone, even random people from the street :)
The only thing is that sponsorships to attend have now closed (as far as I know)
so you'll have to be willing to pay for airfare and accomodation+food
for the duration of the
stay. This will come to approximately 60-70k INR based on rough
assumptions and calculations.

There will be a ton of people there and it will be fun. I myself don't
contribute to KDE anymore,
but I've planned my europe trip so that I get to attend two days of
akademy and meet a few friends.

If you decide to attend (and Smit this is for you too), I suggest you
book flights fast as they won't get
any cheaper. Get in touch with the coordinators and get an invitation
letter quickly, with the embassy
in New Delhi, it will take a week or two for the Visa thing to happen
after you have all documents
ready and submitted.
I think accomodation in the two main hostels (where most people will
be staying) is already full,
so you'll need to arrange that on your own too, and you probably won't
get the best, or at least not the one where
everyone is hanging around. That said, if you can convince some
attendees to let you bunk as a third person
in their room, then you can get in at the Academic hostel.
Finally, Estonia is relatively cheap, so budget something like
15-20EUR per day for food.

I hope that answers all your questions,
Nikhil