[KDE-India] KDE FOSS WorkOuts @ FOSS.IN/2008

Sri Ramadoss M shriramadhas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 06:18:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Santhosh Thottingal
<santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. The calendar applet in kde panel has support for multiple calendar
> systems. Already it has Persian, Hijara etc.. Indian National Calendar
> system is called as Saka[1]. We need to add our calendar also to this.
> Some understanding of the code of that application and referring the
> existing persian or other calendars will help us to get an idea of the
> architecture. Then converting the unix time to saka... For that I
> found one calendar converter[2], and I just had a look at the
> javascript they used[3]..
> Once Saka is done we have many other calendars in India. Bengal has
> one, Gujarat has one, Kerala has one and Tamilnadu has another one...
> We can consider adding them to this..

Yes. This need to be done.

> 4. Kletters and kanagram of KDE-EDU package requires lots of
> configuration files to be prepared to add indic support to that.
> Kletters needs inscript keyboard configuration files and a list of
> simple words- it is a typing tutor.  Kanagram requires some coding.
> The English letter reordering wont work for indic languages. We need
> to reorder the letters by taking the mathras along with that.. For eg:
> pra-dee-ptho can be reordered to dee-ptho-pra, but not pee-do-pthra.

This is another thing to do. Type writing tutorial application.

and one more thing, I am not sure of other languages, there are
different encoding standards followed, say in Tamil TSCII, TAM-TAB and
off late unicode..

lot of text are already in TAB-TAM or TSCII. Now a handy application
that can convert between these would be of great help..

and focus on indic documentation for manuals, how-tos etc.,

--
ஆமாச்சு