[KDE-India] KDE FOSS WorkOuts @ FOSS.IN/2008

Santhosh Thottingal santhosh.thottingal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:09:50 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Pradeepto Bhattacharya
<pradeeptob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      Some of us have been discussing what proposal could be submitted
> for FOSS Workouts [1] at FOSS.IN/2008. Not many concrete ideas came
> forward. Except one from Kushal and some cool ideas from Santhosh. I
> will let them elaborate their ideas if they wish to do the same.
Hi,
I am listing my ideas below. Please comment :)

1. The calendar applet in kde panel has support for multiple calendar
systems. Already it has Persian, Hijara etc.. Indian National Calendar
system is called as Saka[1]. We need to add our calendar also to this.
Some understanding of the code of that application and referring the
existing persian or other calendars will help us to get an idea of the
architecture. Then converting the unix time to saka... For that I
found one calendar converter[2], and I just had a look at the
javascript they used[3]..
Once Saka is done we have many other calendars in India. Bengal has
one, Gujarat has one, Kerala has one and Tamilnadu has another one...
We can consider adding them to this..

2. Enhancement of KDE banner screensaver: I have seen one wishlist bug
on this. I dont have the link right now. Following are the features
that we can add..
a) It should display random lines from a file specified - may be a
file containing some random proverbs in your mother tongue
b) If we give a RSS feed url, random feeds should be displayed
c) Output of a program- like fortune
d)...
Basic Qt understanding and kscreensaver architecture is enough... I
had tried something on this and have that code with me..

3. Indlinux and KDE team can discuss and identify some action items
for Language Neutral Interfaces

4. Kletters and kanagram of KDE-EDU package requires lots of
configuration files to be prepared to add indic support to that.
Kletters needs inscript keyboard configuration files and a list of
simple words- it is a typing tutor.  Kanagram requires some coding.
The English letter reordering wont work for indic languages. We need
to reorder the letters by taking the mathras along with that.. For eg:
pra-dee-ptho can be reordered to dee-ptho-pra, but not pee-do-pthra.

Please comment on these items and if anybody is interested in taking
these , please come forward.  We have onely 2 days left before
submitting the proposals

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_national_calendar
[2] http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/
[3] http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/calendar.js