[KDE-India] Please suggest a license for my book : Programming with KDE4 Using C++

Gopala Krishna krishna.ggk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:49:17 CET 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 7:47 PM, Manish Chakravarty <manishchaks at gmail.com> wrote:

> The book comes out on 31st March 2008
>
> The table of contents looks like:
> Introduction
>     Hello World!
>     pre-requisites
>     Lets Dive In!
>

> The Qt library
>     Introduction to the Qt library
>      A quick program in Qt
>     "Signals" and "slots"
>     The Qt Object system
>     The Qt Widget System
>     Making a "real-world" application using Qt
>     Exploring Qt further
> Introduction to KDE4
>     Introduction to the world of KDE
>      What is KDE?
>     Why KDE?
>         For users
>     For developers
>     KDE4.0
>     What's the difference between KDE "4.0.0" and KDE4?
>     What's new in KDE4
>         For users
>         For developers
>      It's everywhere: Linux, Solaris, BSD, OSX and Windows!
>         Linux
>         Solaris
>         BSD
>         OSX
>     Windows
>     How do I install KDE4?
>         Linux
>         Solaris
>         BSD
>          OSX
>         Windows
>     How do I setup dev environment for KDE4?
>         Linux
>         Solaris
>         BSD
>         OSX
>         Windows
>
> Programming with KDE4
>     My first quick KDE4 Program
>          The Hello World Program
>         The code
>         Compiling the code
>         Viewing the result
>     What did we learn?
>     A slightly more complex program (Using KXmlGui)
>         The Code
>         A simple walkthrough
>          Viewing the result
>     A note on making XML based user interfaces
>
> The KDE4 Application framework
>     Some interesting KDE4 Classes
>         KFile
>         KIO
>         KIOSlave
>         KDEsu
>      Some important KDE4 Widgets
>         KHTML
>         KTextEditor
>         KMediaPlayer
>
>     KParts: A very powerful framework
>     The Phonon multimedia framework
>     The Solid device framework
>      Strigi Metadata framework
>     The Nepomuk Media Data framework
>
> Case Studies: A couple of real-world KDE4 Applications
>     "Konsider" – A "thought-taking" application
>     "KWebTest" – A simple web site testing tool

Looks excellent IMHO ! :-)
/me is very curious to read the book.

I have a small suggestion for addition of one more topic in your book.
"Developing plasmoids" would really be a hot topic IMHO and a
GraphicsView section to support it in qt section.
Ofcourse this is just my humble opinion :-)

--
Cheers,
Gopala Krishna A