[KDE-India] Please suggest a license for my book : Programming with KDE4 Using C++

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jan 27 15:51:28 CET 2008

On Sunday 27 January 2008 19:47, Manish Chakravarty wrote:
>Hi kde-in,
>
>I have finished majority of my book "Programming with KDE4"
>It is now 400+ pages. It will grow a little more (More on this later)

Coo! - (I say this even before reading the book, because I assume, you
have taken a effort to do something and have come up with results.)

>I need to select a license for the book
>
>I want to be able to:
>1) Let other people contribute/modify the book
>2) Let the book be distributable over the internet, freely
>3) I dont want people to pirate hard copies of the book ( if it ever
> gets printed, that is :) )
>4) I want to be able to sell the book as well.
>
>I want it to be free as in opensource ; not free as in beer.

>I wanted to go in for GNU FDL, but that does not seem to suit me. I
> have lots of code snippets from kdelibs/kdepimlibs.
>Both those libs are under LGPL and  IMHO GFDL and LGPL are _not_
> compatible.

Hmm, I'm not experienced enough to suggest licenses, but since you
insist on /not/ having GNU FDL, and this being a different media of
information (knowledge) than code (software), you could opt for one of
the Creative Commons License. (CC-India turned 1 year old yesterday).
To know more about it (assuming, you didn't consider it) here's the URL:
http://creativecommons.org/about/license/

[huge snip]

All the best