[KDE-India] Good Morning KDE-India

Pradeepto Bhattacharya pradeeptob at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 04:04:09 CET 2006

Hi everybody,

      Well I am most members on the list remember that discussion
about the Indian Flag Code and Flag Colours and the legality of using
the same on the t-shirts. Many people liked the design that Ken kindly
made for KDE-India. Many people kindly contributed their designs and
ideas too. Many thanks to them too.

      The most important part of the discussion was the legality of
the design and violating the Flag Code Of India. This was very
important point put forward by many members of the list and I and I am
sure everbody else on the list sincerely appreciate their viewpoints
and efforts. Alternative designs were suggested by many members.

       Around this time I started asking many other people so that I
have a broad opinion about this and end up with the exact
understanding of the law, if possible. I contacted the some of the
Linux users in Mumbai. They said the design was pretty much legal
according to current Indian Flag Code.

       Note that design that I showed to few people here was the same
design that was put to vote on this list to find the legality of the
design sometime back. People who joined in late might want to check
the archives.

       I realised that there was too many opinions on this and there
was no point in going for something about which information was so
much fuzzy. So I thought I should ask one person who probably knows
more about this particular law/code than most of us. He goes by the
name of Mr. Naveen Jindal (Member Of Parliament,  Kurukshetra,
Harayana). I am sure most of us know that it was Mr. Naveen Jindal's
efforts that we can fly our beloved Tri-Colour on the top of our
buildings, office and other places provided we follow some rules - The
Flag Code Of India.

      Hence I tried to contact him and his office in general. Talked
to many of his staff who helped me with whom to contact , when to
contact. They helped me with numbers of Mr. Naveen Jindals secretary
and what not. Then one fine day somebody from his office told me that
I should be contacting Cmdr (retd) K.V.Singh since it is him who
handles the Flag Code part for Mr. Naveen Jindal.

      I called him up and requested him help me understand the  Flag
Code Of India. Oh Man was he helpful or what? Simply amazing. Just
asked me what exactly I am going to use it for? Is it for upcoming
26th January - The Republic Day - ? I filled him with the information.
And then he told me a few points  that was almost like enlightenment -

      # We can proudly use the Indian Flag for tee shirt.
      #  Not only colours but we can use the complete Indian Flag
along with the Chakra.
      #  We just have to make sure that we DONOT use the design below
the belly button.
      # Obvious other laws like disrespecting the Indian Flag in
anyways applies.

 He told me that they have made a design and are making tee shirts
themselves. The design has the Indian Flag in it. I asked him if I
could send in a design for his perusal so that he has a better view
point. I did the same. Soon reply came from his side that we need to
modify the design a little bit. Ken made the changes and then further
more changes to make sure that we comply with what Cmdr Singh
mentioned in his mail. Yesterday I got a go ahead for the new design
from him as he said it was ok.

       I present to you the modified design in the mail as an
attachment. The design in the bottom of the image is one I have been
talking about.

       Thank you Ken, thank you everybody. Sincerely appreciate any
and all your efforts to take KDE-India forward.

Warm Regards
Pradeepto