[KDE-India] A proposal for KDE-India's logo

Shriramana Sharma jamadagni at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:10:46 CET 2006

And here are my thoughts on the legality matter:

The relevant sections of the Flag Code of India appear to be:

There shall be no restriction on the display of the National Flag by members
of general public, private organizations, educational institutions, etc.,
except to the extent provided in the Emblems and Names (Prevention of
Improper Use) Act, 1950 and the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act,
1971 and any other law enacted on the subject.

with the (indirectly?) relevant points of the acts being:

1 - the Flag shall not be used for commercial purposes

2 - Whoever in any public place or in any other place within public view
burns, mutilates, defaces, defiles, disfigures ... shall be punished

3 - disrespect to the Indian National Flag means and includes putting any kind
of inscription upon the Indian National Flag

4 - lettering of any kind shall not be put upon the Flag

Though I am not a lawyer, I seriously doubt that KDE would be considered by
Indian Law as "a commercial purpose", or the artistic rendering of the Indian
Flag in the KDE India logo be considered as "disfigure" (or one of the other
words). The problem then would be whether the modification of the Chakra in
the center of the flag would be accepted, since K is certainly "lettering"
and it with the cogwheel might be considered "an inscription".

A suggestion for a different logo

Perhaps the KDE symbol with a map of India (as correctly depicted at Wikipedia
to avoid other legal issues with the map) in a tricolour scheme could replace
this - there are no rules preventing the use of the three colours to
represent India.

--

My website : http://samvit.org
My OS      : SUSE Linux 10.0 with KDE 3.5