[Kde-imaging] libkvkontakte depends on Qt 4.8

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon May 18 06:04:27 UTC 2015

> Hi everyone,
>
> I spent some time to put my library libkvkontakte in order. This
> included bug fixing, appropriate changes according to the newest
> version of the VK web API and adding unit tests.
>
> Another commit I have just pushed removes the files mpform.* in favor
> of my own code for HTTP multi-part requests using
> QHttpMultiPart/QNetworkAccessManager.

This way permit to be logged to a remote service without to use an
external session of  web browser as it's done in all web service kipi
tools ? If yes, this solution must be the good way to apply in a
common class from internal libkipiplugins (not libkipi) to generalize
this authentification method.

Remember that we have a student who will work on kipi-plugins core to
factorize all web service tool codes.

> I moved away from mpform.{cpp,h}
> because these files are licensed under GPL v2 and thus cannot be mixed
> in a library that could be licensed under LGPL otherwise.
> QHttpMultiPart is available since Qt 4.8 and it makes libkvkontakte
> depend on Qt version 4.8.
>
> Because the library libkvkontakte is used by the VK [1] export KIPI
> plugin and was initially done for it, you may want to know about this
> new dependency. We can still revert the change for now if it
> complicates releasing of digiKam too much.

As Qt 4.8.x is last 4.x version since a long time, i think it's not
really a problem. Since Qt5 is started few years ago, Qt4 not not
changes and is in stable production everywhere.

In all cases, doing these important changes in KF5 port can be a clean
solutions, to prevent all problems.

> Also, I was thinking of releasing libkvkontakte separately from
> digiKam SC. Is it possible that digiKam SC 4.11.0 or 4.12.0 will
> depend on libkvkontakte _externally_, or is it too late to intoduce
> new dependencies in 4.x releases?

yes, it can easily. I do it already in cmake for others libs. So no
problem here. Let's me hear.