[Kde-imaging] Re: [Digikam-devel] Re: Git migration for 2.0.0 + code components re-structuring...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:49:57 CET 2010

2010/12/9 Angelo Naselli <anaselli at linux.it>:
> giovedì 9 dicembre 2010 alle 12:31, Gilles Caulier ha scritto:
>> Martin,
>>
>> this is exactly the purpose of my proposal, to create a digiKam
>> package including kipi-plugins and shared libs.
> Please don't.
> When we decided to be part of kdegraphics we knew that we needed to
> depend on the stable branch or on then unstable trunk. We can't now
> have two libkipi & co.

For the moment libkipi is not considerated to be branched in digiKam
package. same for libkexiv2 and libkdcraw.

Only new shared libs libkface and libkmap, not yet hosted to KDEcore,
are planed.

 and two kipi-plugins & co.

For kipi-plugins, nothing change about packaging. Only code path will
be moved from extragear/graphics to extragear/graphics/digikam. it
still a standalone component, undependant of digiKam core.

> that *doesn't*
> help packagers, because they have to decide, having a stable kdegraphics
> or an unstable part of it. But what it worst, is that if they use
> the unstable part (e.g. digikam rebuilt-trunk or whatever one) they
> have to rebuild kdegraphics part that depends on it anyway... that's
> a mess imo. So a normal packager backport from trunk is better, imo.

I know that Mandriva backport trunk/unstable but it's not the case of
debian ubuntu, and fedora, which won't to do work in this way. They
want to backport unstabilized code in all case. It's a logic goal...

But we cannot still like this, to fix problem in KDE trunk/unstable
and ask to users which report to bugzilla to update when they can KDE
core.

The release plan of digiKam and KDE are different. I'm trying yo
release digiKam & co each mounth or each 2 mounth to cleanup code /
bugs. KDE is released each 6 month.

I cannot see another solution to deal with this problem.

Why not to try a digiKam package as explained before, without to fork
unstable libkexiv2, libkdcraw for the moment ? We can see if it's
work...