[Kde-imaging] Plugin Writing Docs?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:02:47 CEST 2010

2010/4/6 Hadmut Danisch <hadmut at danisch.de>:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:44:51PM +0200, Gilles Caulier wrote:
>> You can find documention in libkipi API about how to use methods from
>> this library to get information from KIPI host application as
>> digiKam
>
> Where exactly would I find "in libkipi API" ?

well, typically, libkipi api is export by KDE project using Doxygen
annotation, but i cannot found it there :

http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdegraphics-apidocs/

So, take a look into header files from subversion repository directly :

http://lxr.kde.org/source/KDE/kdegraphics/libs/libkipi/libkipi/

Note : look this page too :

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/docs

>> About plugins template code, there is no one, but code is very similar
>> between all already existing. You can create new one using current
>> code from Facebook or Picasaweb tool. Please use current code from svn
>> trunk.
>
> I'll check that.
>

>> Question : you plan to write a plugin to do what ?
>
> This depends on what the API is able to do.
>
> Some tasks I have in mind:
>
> * I have some proprietary image conversion skripts that I'd like to
>  call

Which format exactly ?

> * I need to export some images to blogs and professional image agencys

This is typically a job for kipi-plugins. Look existing tools as
smugexport, facebookexport, flickr, picasawebexport, ect...

> * The geolocation plugin has a flaw, I did not yet find a way to
>  geolocate JPG images without altering (just put the location in the
>  database as with raw images - it's so scary that images shrink by
>  geolocation and spoils any backup strategy)

It's currently in rewritting mode. No need to work on it. Work are in
progress and very well advanced.

> * In general I'd like to write an adapter to scripting, i.e. just a
>  plugin that calls a Ruby interpreter that itself can execute
>  anything written in Ruby

sure...

> * I did not yet find a proper way to prepare an external slide show
>  with digikam

As to export to OpenOffice or Mpeg/DIVX. For the first one, there is a
file in bugzilla, for the second, the plugin has not been ported to
KDE4.

Gilles Caulier