[Kde-imaging] How to test KIPI plugins?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Sun Jul 26 22:00:11 CEST 2009

Martin Engelmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to modify one of the KIPI plugins, but I don't know how to
> test the modification. I have installed 0.4.0 via the package management
> and I would like to keep that. But for testing purposes I would like to
> switch to the modified version.
> I experimented with LD_LIBRARY_PATH but was not successful.

Here is how you can do what you want. Assuming you want to install your
plugins in $HOME/opt/kde4, the source of kipi-plugins are in
$HOME/src/kipi-plugins and your build dir is $HOME/build/kipi-plugins:

1. Define KDEDIRS (assuming your KDE is installed in /usr):
export KDEDIRS=$HOME/opt/kde4:/usr

2. Run cmake with the appropriate prefix:
cd $HOME/build/kipi-plugins
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/opt/kde4 $HOME/src/kipi-plugins

3. Compile and install your modified plugin:
cd $HOME/build/kipi-plugins/theplugin
make
make install

4. Run kbuildsycoca4 to make sure KDE is aware of your new plugin

5. Start a kipi-enabled application and test your changes

Note: step 4 and 5 must be done in a terminal where the KDEDIRS var is set.

If you want to make sure your version of the plugin is run and not the
packaged one you can rename the .so of the packaged one. You can find it
in /usr/lib/kde4/kipiplugin_theplugin.so