[Kde-imaging] ksaneplugin (and libksane)

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Tue May 6 12:24:35 CEST 2008

lunedì 5 maggio 2008 alle 19:35, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> On Monday 05 May 2008, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > Angelo, i don't like the idea to have libkipi moved to a KDE core
> > component. This is want mean than libkipi will be released with KDE
> > release, and it's not the goal.
>
> what is the goal, then? to release in step with digikam? or some other
> application? what exactly is the intended release cycle for these libs.
>
> the way i see it, keeping these libs in extragear, mature as they are, is a
> real drag for other applications since it's hard to rely on them existing
> which means fewer applications will use them, which in turns means less
> attention given to them.
>
> gwenview takes advantage of libkipi, so it's a bit unfortunate it's in
> extragear.

Well as it is by now it's not so bad, it just requires to be built after extragear/libs.

But let's see it in another way, gwenview needs a stable version of libkipi, that means
it can only rely on a release version of libkipi, even if this time we haven't released it yet
though.... and that should not need to build against svn version of extragear.
And that may be the starting point for any other host applications, imo.
If Koffice wants to enjoy kipi-plugins and if any other kde-core applications do, we should
consider to move. But as it is by now, Gilles is the main libkxxxx (kipi/kexiv2/kdcraw) developer
(we can say almost the only one) and if he does not feel ready to move, we must take that
in account.
I, as far as I'm concerned, am ready to help all of them need to use our libkipi & co. to have them
released as much stable (and quicker) as they need.

Note that libksane maybe needs to be moved anyway.... imo better to have a new and maintained
library instead of an old and almost unmaintained one (as it is libkscan) available for all.