[Kde-imaging] ksaneplugin (and libksane)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon May 5 09:48:20 CEST 2008

2008/5/5 Angelo Naselli <anaselli at linux.it>:
> lunedì 5 maggio 2008 alle 08:55, Kåre Särs ha scritto:
>
> > On Monday 05 May 2008, Michael Pyne wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Looks like our options are to
>  > >
>  > > 1. Move libksane to kdelibs since multiple applications use it.
>  > > 2. Make a new kdegraphicslib or similar and make
>  > > extragear/libs/kipi-plugins optionally depend on it and have kdegraphics
>  > > depend on it.
>  > > 3. Leave libksane in extragear/libs even though it is ready to be moved
>  > > into KDE and have kdegraphics optionally depend on it.
>  > > 4. Move libksane to kdegraphics and make extragear/libs/kipi optionally
>  > > depend on it.  This depends on stuff in kdegraphics not depending (even
>  > > optionally) on things in extragear/libs/kipi though, which Gwenview does.
>  > >
>  > > I don't like option 3 because eventually some other library will be ready
>  > > to leave extragear and we'll likely have the same issue.  Do we have a set
>  > > policy for how libraries migrate out of extragear, or just applications?
>  > >
>  > > If don't like option 4 because of the circular dependencies involved.  It's
>  > > just not a good idea to allow circular dependencies to exist.
>  > >
>  > > If libksane is small enough I'd say use option 1, otherwise I'd say we need
>  > > to do option 2 (or something similar).  Anyone have other thoughts?
>  > >
>  >
>  > One option could be to:
>  > 5. Make "support-gears" for libraries that provide optional features to KDE
>  > modules. (almost kdesupport)
>  >
>  > With option 5. libksane could be moved to kdegraphics and libkipi moved to
>  > support-gears.
>
>  Since I'm not subscribed to kde-core-devel, please answer to kde-imaging as
>  well, thanks.
>
>  Angelo

Angelo, i don't like the idea to have libkipi moved to a KDE core
component. This is want mean than libkipi will be released with KDE
release, and it's not the goal.

Also, moving libkipi at another place than extragear will inclrese the
complexity to compile, especially for new contributors/developers.

Nota : i have no plan to make a conditional support of kipi in
digiKam. This is a non sence for me.

Best

Gilles Caulier