[Kde-imaging] kipi-plugins 0.1.5 available for testing

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed Mar 12 22:42:26 CET 2008

mercoledì 12 marzo 2008, Achim Bohnet ha scritto:
> On Wednesday, 12. March 2008, Valerio Fuoglio wrote:
> > Hi,
> > kipi-plugins 0.1.5 is ready for testing:
> >
> > http://www.valeriofuoglio.it/kipi/kipi-plugins-0.1.5.tar.bz2
> > http://www.valeriofuoglio.it/kipi/kipi-plugins-0.1.5.tar.bz2.md5
>
> configure check need an update. Installed is
>
> ii  libkdcraw2                         0.1.3-1                            Raw picture decoding C++ library (runtime)
>
> configure says:
>
> checking for libkdcraw in our sources... not found in sources
> checking for libkdcraw >= 0.1.2... yes
> checking LIBKDCRAW_CFLAGS... -I/usr/include/kde
> checking LIBKDCRAW_LIBS... -lkdcraw
>
> but an build fails due to out of date libkdcraw
Fixed thanks.

> > Waiting your feedback  :)
>
> A (pointed) remark: Due to all this lib API incompatibilities with
> each release one has more or less to update/rebuild libk*, kipi-plugins
> and all kipi host application together. This really sucks :(
You're right, but as you know this breakage was planned at the end of last
year, we've talked together about it via IRC iirc.

> So updating is an all or nothing and not much fun, really.
> When I think about backporting, then libgpod and exiv2 etc are
> also out too old, then the real fun begins :(
Well backporting kipi-plugins as well as digikam needs (often)
a libkcraw/libkexiv2 backport, since they're growing and growing.

> We should really better try to a) avoid breaking backward compatibiliy,
> b) collect API breaking changes and do them once together, and c) if not
> too complicated ensure software build with the 2 last API version.
Well it could be right as i told a lot of time in these last days, we need
a better planning. In the next few days i will be happy to talk about
a kipi release plan (e.g. libkipi, libkexive2,.... - i recall libkipi
and libkexiv2 have to be released asap for digikam and we've cahnged the
api and iirc broke abi) with those of whom want to either via mail or via
mailing list as well as vi irc (when i am present).

> Another way would be to move a kipi-plugin into it's own process (Hide
> the implementation detail behind libkipi API ;)   This way kipi-plugins
> and the kipi host apps could each use different API version of an lib
> like libkdcraw1 and libkdcraw3,  libkexiv2-1 and libkexiv2-2 etc.
> without danger to crash.
Sorry i don't get it. Do you mean we should use two differen libkexiv
for instance one for host applications and one, maybe statically linked
for kipi-plugins?

> Just my 2 cents,

You know your 2 cents are often made of gold ;)

Angelo

P.S. Valerio has (as you've seen) updated the packages if the only problem
is the kipi-plugins test we could upload it anyway with a note about a known
problem into release notes maybe tomorrow. What do you think?