[Kde-imaging] libkexiv2: breaks backward compatitiliby? WAS: extragear/libs/libkexiv2

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed May 9 22:57:14 CEST 2007

Alle mercoledì 9 maggio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
> Angelo Naselli wrote:
> > Alle martedì 8 maggio 2007, Colin Guthrie ha scritto:
> >> Yeah I tested it prior to committing/submitting it and it seems to be
> >> fine, so I guess you are right in that it was the 0.1.1 -> 0.1.2 that
> >> broke things.  The version I updated in cooker was indeed 0.1.2.
> >>
> >> Didn't try to do anything complex in dk but nothing jumped out at me.
> >>
> >> Col
> >>
> > Col could you please test this one against 0.1.2?
> > http://www.linux.it/~anaselli/kipi-plugins/libkexiv2-0.1.5.tar.bz2
>
> It creates a different automatic provides:
>
> The older one (0.1.4) generates:
> libkexiv2.so.0()(64bit)
>
> and the 0.1.5 generates a provide of:
> libkexiv2.so.1()(64bit)
>
> So indeed the major of the library has changed.
Ok I checked a bit the problem, since we didn't break compatibility
before we haven't any libkexiv2.so.1, and that's why we can't updgrade
to libkexiv2 0.1.5 _from_any_previous_ one without rebuilding the
applications that need it.

> I can bump the major and it should in theory co-install with the older
> version, but I'll still get conflicts on the file:
> /usr/lib64/libkexiv2.la
> (is this even needed? - I've had good success with just deleting them in
> the past, but I've also been stung with some KDE apps needing them!)
>
> Regardless it will mean we can rebuild the dependant apps and everything
> will eventually work. Is this the desired effect?
Yep, unfortunately it is. And since we have that problem in cooker we can di that
without care, but this problem makes me thinking we should pay attention next
time to avoid that...

Cheers,
	Angelo (who probably updloads libkexiv2 0.1.5 tomorrow)