[Kde-imaging] How to install library translations as libkfoo-<ABI-major>.mo instead of libkfoo.mo

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jun 14 00:18:40 CEST 2007

Achim Bohnet wrote:
>Hi,
>
>as thiago suggested on IRC I post here [please keep kde-imaging
>on cc. I'm not subscribed here]
>
>Some ABIs for KDE3 libraries in branch/kde-extras/kde35/libs had
>and will change.  So we are currently faced with the problem
>that the e.g., the library
>
>  libkdcraw.so.0 uses translation .../LC_MESSAGES/libkdcraw.mo
>
>In order to install libkdcraw.so.1 in parallel we need to install
>translation of the new libkdcraw pkg as
>
> libkdcraw-1.mo
>
>Otherwise last make install of a libkdcrawX wins and
>last make uninstall removes the catalog for all installed
>version of libkdrawX.   Similar problems with .deb and .rpm
>packages.  (I assume with KDE3 and KDE4 catalogs in the future
>too.)
>
>xine-lib and gphoto2-lib add already do it, but I've found no
>obvious way how to integrate this with KDE auto* magic.
>
>Any how to tweak auto* stuff is very welcome.

I believe we'll leave the automake stuff as it is and unchanged. KDE 3
continues to install the files as they are right now. Nothing changes.

However, for KDE 4 code, we should provide a method to install the
translations with a version-ed name, if the library in question is
version-ed as well. It should match the library's soname version, for
simplicity.

The hardest part here is synchronising the soname version with the code
and the translation. They are kept in separate files and that would
require manual synchronisation.

For kdecore, for instance, we have:
set_target_properties(kdecore PROPERTIES VERSION ${GENERIC_LIB_VERSION}
SOVERSION ${GENERIC_LIB_SOVERSION} )

It's that argument to SOVERSION that has to be part of the insertCatalog()
call and the install script for l10n-kde4.

Any suggestions on how to implement that? Manually?
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358