[Kde-imaging] Get images' thumbnails

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 09:48:21 CEST 2007

2007/6/17, Valerio Fuoglio <valerio at ulteo.com>:

> On Friday 15 June 2007 11:37:50 Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > 2007/6/15, Achim Bohnet <ach at mpe.mpg.de>:
> > > On Friday, 15. June 2007, Valerio Fuoglio wrote:
> > > AFAIU digikam uses the freedesktop standard for thumbnails.
> > > And that's the right way to go ;)
> >
> > Well, this will add a depencies to digiKam as well.
>
> Sorry GIlles, maybe I've lost something... which are these dependencies?

The depency to digiKam thumbnail KIO slave of course (:=))). Are you take a
look about link to mailing list archive that i have added in this thread ?

> Remember than when kipi-plugins project has been created from old
> > DigikamPlugins, the source code used digiKam thumbnails KIO slave.
> >
> > A discussion between with Renchi have been concluded to remove this
> depency
> > and use KDE thumbnails KIO slave instead.
> >
> > Also, the way to get image thumbnail is different from host. For ex.
> > gwenview do not use KIO slave, but digiKam yes.
>
> I can think two ways to do it :
> 1) Create different ways to get thumbnail : using a way X for digikam --
> and
> others that follow freedesktop's standard --, a way Y for gwenview, a way
> for another program, and so on... obviously there would be only one
> libkipi
> method to do all this stuff. ;)
> 2) Require the thubnail to the host application (maybe by its path) and
> obtain
> a qpixmap or it's thumbnail's path. The host application should get
> tumbnail
> by itself.
>
> > I vote to add a new method in libkipi to get image thumbnails from host.
>
> I completely agree. :)

We need 2 virtual methods witch will be re-implemented by hosts :

- one to extract album thumbnails (supported by digiKam database) : virtual
QPixmap ImageInfoShared::thumbnail();

- one other to extract image thumbnails : virtual QPixmap
ImageCollectionShared::thumbnail();

Image thumbnails extraction method must provide the KDE thumbnail extraction
by default (witch you use in SlideShow). Hosts re-implement these methods
accordinly with the way used internally (digiKam for ex. has a thumbs cache
manager).

2 Host categories must be added : SupportAlbumThumbnail and
SupportImageThumbnail. Look libkipi/interface.h.

The methods must be generic. No need to bloat api about thumbnail url. I
think than methods must just return a QPixmap. It's enought...

What do you think about ?

Gilles