[Kde-imaging] Get images' thumbnails

Valerio Fuoglio valerio at ulteo.com
Sun Jun 17 01:31:50 CEST 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 11:37:50 Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2007/6/15, Achim Bohnet <ach at mpe.mpg.de>:
> > On Friday, 15. June 2007, Valerio Fuoglio wrote:
> > AFAIU digikam uses the freedesktop standard for thumbnails.
> > And that's the right way to go ;)
>
> Well, this will add a depencies to digiKam as well.

Sorry GIlles, maybe I've lost something... which are these dependencies?

> Remember than when kipi-plugins project has been created from old
> DigikamPlugins, the source code used digiKam thumbnails KIO slave.
>
> A discussion between with Renchi have been concluded to remove this depency
> and use KDE thumbnails KIO slave instead.
>
> Also, the way to get image thumbnail is different from host. For ex.
> gwenview do not use KIO slave, but digiKam yes.

I can think two ways to do it :
1) Create different ways to get thumbnail : using a way X for digikam -- and
others that follow freedesktop's standard --, a way Y for gwenview, a way T
for another program, and so on... obviously there would be only one libkipi
method to do all this stuff. ;)
2) Require the thubnail to the host application (maybe by its path) and obtain
a qpixmap or it's thumbnail's path. The host application should get tumbnail
by itself.

> I vote to add a new method in libkipi to get image thumbnails from host.

I completely agree. :)

> Gilles

Cheers
Valerio