[Kde-imaging] Get images' thumbnails

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:37:50 CEST 2007

2007/6/15, Achim Bohnet <ach at mpe.mpg.de>:

> On Friday, 15. June 2007, Valerio Fuoglio wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > for Slideshow, I want to add images' thumbnails next to their name (in
> the
> > list box), but I haven't found a way to do it lightly (load every
> preview
> > with KIO::filePreview is really heavy -- try with 92 images ;) ).
>
> Would be a preview only of the currently selected image
> a good compromise?  (as in preview of the kde file dialog box)
>

> > libkipi doesn't offer this possibility, am I wrong?

yes, there is no method for that.

> > If not, wouldn't it be great if libkipi takes host app's thumbnails or,
> if
> > they doesn't exist, create its ones?
>
> As the thumbnails are very probable already in memory
> it would be nice.  (Especially if the image could be
> shared.)

At least, the image are in HDD cache with digiKam following freedesktop
spec. This one is shared with others applications witch can use it
(Konqueror for ex.)

> I'm looking at kio_digikamthumbnailProtocol [1], something like this
> should be
> > a good solution.
>
> AFAIU digikam uses the freedesktop standard for thumbnails.
> And that's the right way to go ;)

Well, this will add a depencies to digiKam as well.

Remember than when kipi-plugins project has been created from old
DigikamPlugins, the source code used digiKam thumbnails KIO slave.

A discussion between with Renchi have been concluded to remove this depency
and use KDE thumbnails KIO slave instead.

Also, the way to get image thumbnail is different from host. For ex.
gwenview do not use KIO slave, but digiKam yes.

I vote to add a new method in libkipi to get image thumbnails from host.