[Kde-imaging] Get images' thumbnails

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Jun 15 11:24:39 CEST 2007

On Friday, 15. June 2007, Valerio Fuoglio wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> for Slideshow, I want to add images' thumbnails next to their name (in the
> list box), but I haven't found a way to do it lightly (load every preview
> with KIO::filePreview is really heavy -- try with 92 images ;) ).

Would be a preview only of the currently selected image
a good compromise?  (as in preview of the kde file dialog box)

> libkipi doesn't offer this possibility, am I wrong?
>
> If not, wouldn't it be great if libkipi takes host app's thumbnails or, if
> they doesn't exist, create its ones?

As the thumbnails are very probable already in memory
it would be nice.  (Especially if the image could be
shared.)

> I'm looking at kio_digikamthumbnailProtocol [1], something like this should be
> a good solution.

AFAIU digikam uses the freedesktop standard for thumbnails.
And that's the right way to go ;)

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com