[Kde-imaging] Xmas pressies - anyone recommend a good GPS device?

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Jan 9 10:19:01 CET 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Julien Narboux wrote:
> Sorry if it is a little bit off topic.

Personally I don't think it is off-topic ;-)

> I got the Wintec WBT-100. It
> works perfectly under Linux and MacOSx using gpsbabel.

There is a pretty long discussion thread (in German though)
about the accuracy. It seems that with recent firmware
and compass deactivated it is very decent,
http://www.pocketnavigation.de/board/thread.php?threadid=1038253&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=22

> I wrote a small tutorial about how it can be used using linux:
> http://www4.in.tum.de/~narboux/misc/wintec.html

Thanks for sharing!

> If I find time I would like to add information about geolocalisation
> using the kipi plugins. What is the conclusion of the discussion about a
> Digikam / Kipi wiki ?

I think that the conclusion was to add stuff to the wiki
at http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Digikam
and see how whether it should be moved to a dedicated wiki at
digikam.org.

Just for completeness: there is a new interesting device announced,
"GLOBALSAT DG-100 DATA LOGGER",
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74316
which has SirfStar III chipset and pretty long batter life.

Best, Arnd