[Kde-imaging] KIPI image viewer plugin update

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Feb 15 17:43:18 CET 2007

On Thursday, 15. February 2007, Markus Leuthold wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 19.23:11 Gerhard Kulzer wrote:

> > > well I believe you can ask for an SVN account to kde admin -if you
> > > haven't yet- and the rigths to close bugs in bko as well and in the
> > > meanwhile fixing the cout, so you can add your work in kipi-plugins and
> > > have all the feedbacks you need ;)
> > >
> > > Angelo
> >
> > I just want to support Markus' plugin, it is way sharper than the native
> > slideshow on my setup. It's only drawback is that it can't display RAW
> > files.
> >
> > Gerhard
>
> I got an svn account and checked the plugin into the kde svn repository.
> Please report bugs via bko from now on. Yes, the image viewer does not
> support raw files. Neither does the existing KIPI slideshow. At least the
> image viewer doesn't crash your computer anymore when trying to view raw
> files. I won't implement raw support since my cam only generates jpg. But
> maybe somebody can adopt the raw loader of digikam, shouldn't be too
> difficult.
>
> I'm tempted to implement slideshow functionality, although there seems to be a
> slideshow added to digikam recently. Maybe I'll have a look at it first if it
> fits my needs

 o AFAIK here are no plans for effect or sound support in digikam.
 o Further everything that in kipi-plugins can be used by several
   applications.
 o why a kipi wrapper or other kde magic even konqueror should make
   use of kipi-plugins via service menu.  konqueror -> service menu
   -> kipi imageviewer/slideshow would be cool ;) AFAIR you have a stand alone
   version, but one that can handle every kipi-plugins would be
   better ;)

All that said. KDE still lacks a cool slideprogram, with effect and
sounds (and maybe vidio support too).   Would be nice to have 3
interfaces: a widget, for easy use inside prgram (so they ca use
their image caches etc. The kipi-version and a standalone one.
Using code von existing apps is okay, especially when it's
transformed to a library that can then be used by the orig app
and the new app.  After all KDE strength is build on it's framework ;)

Achim