[Kde-imaging] RFC: (FAO Gilles) next kipi & co. generation

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Sep 26 14:24:29 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 11:04, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to be pushy, but I would really like some feedback on my
> response below. Angelo has already said he cannot really comment, but I
> would really value Gilles' opinion/thoughts on it as I am not familiar
> enough with the concepts to really know if I'm right or wrong.
>
> I just don't want to see the Kipi API becoming bloated with calls that
> are not needed/are too specific to any given case/plugin.

Well, the problem is simple : a kipi host store in a database some metadata
informations about photograph to performs search. For performance reasons,
this is mandatory : try to search a metadata using only informations stored
in picture files, and you can take a coffee (:=)))

Second points, is about metadata an pictures format : not all file formats
support metadata ! Exif (the most important format used in photography) is
supported by TIFF, JPEG, and PNG only, but not by TGA, BMP, JPEG2000, EXR,
GIMP, etc.

The problem that i have describe about GPS info is similar than image comments
or date. In libkipi, we have methods to changes in host the image comments
and date ! With digiKam, comments and date are stored in database, and if
supported, into the file format, like Exif, and IPTC.

Now that we have a GPS tool in kipi, i need a method to put the GPS info in
database, like comments/date stuff are does.

Gilles