[Kde-imaging] Common framework for Web Export/Sync plugins

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Wed Oct 11 16:14:44 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 15:02, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about this for the last few days.
>
> We now have Gallery/Flickr export plugins in libkipi. But now there is
> the ne Picasa galleries. iPhoto has a plugin to publish to these
> galleries and I see no reason not to create a Kipi one too.
>

> AFAIK, the Flickr export plugin was derived from Gallery export. Since
> then both projects have had improvments made to them that didn't benefit
> the other (e.g. Flickr added Exif saving, then I did it in Gallery, then
> I converted Gallery to use Exiv2Iface, not Flickr is lagging behind - I
> also added multiple account support to Gallery, not sure if Flickr has
> this..)
>
> Anyway, I think it would be sensible to discuss the posibility of
> creating a new "web sync" plugin that can provide the core functionality
> needed to do syncronisation with or export to web-based galleries. (e.g.
> dialogs, account management, sync preferences etc.)
>
> Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
>
> Col.

I'm totally agree with you. Using common implementation is the better way to
reduce duplicate works. This one can be placed to the kipi-plugins common
area...

But in witch conditions a comon framework can be done ? The protocols are the
same ? The users identification ? The files upload/download methods ?

Jain, can you give us your viewpoint about this subject ?