[Kde-imaging] flickr upload interface

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 19 17:44:38 CET 2006

Vardhman Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>      The idea is good, One core problem that I saw with this idea (when
> we gave a small thought to it sometime back)  was to handle the vary
> different amount of data and information various photo sites allow and
> the different apis they provide to developers. AFAIK flickr has a very
> rich API and a plugin supporting flickr APIs can do much beyond any
> other web photos interface. I intended to make many of this features
> available in flickr exporter over time, so that it would utlimately turn
> out to be a flickr client (exporting plus multiple other things).
>
> I would say, in any case a common plugin would be an interesting idea.
> We might leave the users with the option of multiple plugins, from which
> they can choose the one that suits their need the most. For e.g a person
> willing to only upload photos to website migh use the  websync plugin,
> while some one trying to do much more can use an advance plugin.
>
> I was even thinking if kipi plugnis would end up becoming easier in
> installation and thereby accessible from simple konqueror window, so
> that more naive user can try exporting their photos to website, rather
> than having to install apps like digikam etc which they might not like.
> (I was thinking of kipi-plugnis being similar to firefox plugins with
> click to install feature, people can then choose the plugins much more
> easily, then the current case of installing from a single RPM or by code)

I've just had a play with the Flickr interface and the biggest hurdle I
can see just now is the fact that the Flickr login proceedure is quite
different to those of Gallery and I suspect Google etc. in that it needs
to spawn out to the web browser for the authentication.

As I proceed in cleaning up Gallery I'll try and separate things out
more programatically to allow a websync style plugin with different
backends but don't think I can do anything specific right now.

All the best

Col.