[Kde-imaging] Reg Libkipi attributes() function

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Jul 18 07:57:04 CEST 2006

On Monday 17 July 2006 22:18, Vardhman Jain wrote:
> Hi folks,
>        I have started breaking libkipi binary compatibility (:)). Just
> added the HostSupportsTags feature in the enum list of features. Now
> Applications can support this feature.
> I would like to discuss some implementation issues here, which will come
> during further feature addition to this attributes() set of functions.
>
> The host application are expected to return a QMap <QString, QVariant> for
> the attributes() function.
> The map contents (key, value) need to be standardized so that plugins can
> take out some attribute from the map using a well defined key. For the tags
> feature I have used the String "tags" as the key.
>
> I would look forward for other developers comment regarding this sort of
> standardization. Where should guidlines regarding this be kept noted. I
> will update the inline documentation.  For the time being I hope that
> should be sufficient.
>

> Vardhman

Unforget to use a 'd' class to store private class member. This will improve
the binary compatibility. It very important for a library.

Aureilien have already done this job in the past about libkipi. All new
implementations need to be done like this.

Vardhman, look in digiKam core (digikam/libs content) for example. All
implementations use d private class.

You can look this page from kde.org :

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/binarycompatibility.html