[Kde-imaging] cdarchiving maintainance and imagegallery(2) thoughts

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 20 18:53:12 CET 2006

> Seb, You cannot access to digikam database using CDArchiving... (i'm the
> original CDArchiving author (:=))))
>
> So CDArchiving is obsolete for digiKam. Take a look into digiKAm README
> file. A new tool must be created for that into digiKam core (like showimg
> do it!)
>
> Regards
> Gilles

OK, I finaly found the infos you are refering to - they are in the todo file
of digikam trunk. You stated that a new backup functionality is a task for
later 0.9.x development - so this will take some time.

The question is for me, what we can/should do in the meantime with the
cdarchiving plugin in kipi-plugins (OK, this is not so much for you Gilles
since you do not want to maintain kipi-plugins anymore but the people here in
kde-imaging).

1. Should we remove it from kipi-plugins cause it's absolete, closing all bugs
related to cdarchiving? This depends on whether it is used at all by any
other app from kde-imaging. I would asume in this case that backup
functionality is handled seperatly by each app then.

2. From the digikam point of view, shouldn't we at least fix the small bugs
and maybe add an option not to show ugly filenames at all, so that a basic
album export on CDs is possible (also its not a true/DB related backup)? If
yes, who can help me with this? This would be an intermediate solution until
the new backup tool is there.

Regarding html exports - is java an option? jalbum is a quite powerful app to
create html galleries and it provides many "themes". html code and css are
seperated and it is under LGPL (is this a problem). Just an idea, don't know
if we can make is a kipi-plugin at all ...

Regards
Sebastian