[Kde-imaging] About ImagesGallery plugin

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Feb 9 23:31:25 CET 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 20:14, Aurelien Gateau wrote:

> > > This would be nice, but then we should support several of them, otherwise
> > > we would tie the plugin to one gallery generator. We should also provide
> > > a very simple gallery generator, so that users do not need to install an
> > > additional gallery.
> >
> > One powerful generator as a start would be good ;)
>
> The only problem is that it introduce a dependency on another program. Maybe
> the solution is to provide a way to quickly download it, like the
> Simpleviewer plugin does. My criteria for an external generator are:

> - Easy to install, that is:
>  - Use a widespread script language like Python or Perl (no binary
>    incompatibilities)
>  - Can run from unpacked dir (there should be no need to install it before
>    running it)
>  - No extra dependencies, if need be, we can scale the images ourself to avoid
>    depending on an imaging library

Well, most people use prebuild pkgs.  I promised to pkg everything
digikam needs for debian/kubunt and same is true for kipi-plugins.  And
when one chooses a popular program with active developers you can
be almost sure that others have already created pkgs for almost every
distribution.

Considering rare developer resources, it's principal no good idea
to duplicate functionality.  Let the non-devel-pkg-creating folk
take care of it.

Btw. Simpleviewer, was not included because of problematic license,
so it will not find it's way into any distribution.

> - Free software

That's very important

> - Produce static HTML
> - Can make use of metainfo like image titles
> - Support themes
> - i18n support
> - Provide a way to display progress of the generation process
> - Anything else?

  - provides already a gui interface to make your job easier?

> I'm going to have a look at the available generators to see if one suits our
> needs. If one of you know such a generator, let me know.

No idea, I'm happy with iamgesgallery.

> > > There is a problem with this design though: obtaining application
> > > specific metadata. A standalone program would not be able to access image
> > > comments and tags from Digikam or KPhotoAlbum for example.
> >
> > Obtaining meta data is also a problem for kipi plugins themself.  This
> > needs to be address in API V2 of kipi IMHO.
>
> In the current version of the API, KIPI plugins can already access some
> metadata like the image title, comment and the album list. Maybe we need more
> metadata, though.

I remeberrequest for tags, exif info, and kaddressbook data
on digikam mailing list, for grouping, sorting and displaying.

AFAIK especially for flickr plugin the current API was quite
limiting?  Vardham?

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com