[Kde-imaging] Xmas pressies - anyone recommend a good GPS device?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Dec 12 13:18:16 CET 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 13:05, Fabien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 December 2006 11:41, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >>Seeing as Gilles has put in some excellent work on the GPS plugin, I'm
> >>eager to start GPSing my photos (especially my skiing/boarding holidays
> >>etc.).
> >>
> >>Can anyone recommend a nice, compact, linux friendly GPS device?
> >>
> >>I don't really know where to begin with GPS on linux support, so figure
> >>here is a good place to ask :)
> >
> > This one :
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp
> >
> > can be used like a USB mass storage media and of course you can normally
> > get GPS track file easily under linux.
>
> If you want more than just adding picture location, you could have a
> look at Garmin Etrex * Cx models. There is support under linux for these
> models (waypoints, tracks, routes) except for uploading maps where
> windows is still needed (but this could be done once, except if you
> travel around the world all time :) ).
> The cx models allow you to store all tracks as gpx files into the
> micro-sd card and they can be seen as a mass-storage device.

Other info : The GPSSync kipi plugin support in native GPX file generated by
GPS device (if it support). It a standardized GPS data file using XML.

http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

If your future GPS device do not support it... don't cry Look into :

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

... witch is a great GPS data file format converter running under Linux.

GPSSync plugin do not support yet this tool because it not available like a
library (in the same way than gphoto2 project provide libgphoto2). Of course,
we can do a command line interface but i prefert to use a shared library.

Gilles

Of course,