[Kde-imaging] Xmas pressies - anyone recommend a good GPS device?

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:05:23 CET 2006

Hi,

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 11:41, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>
>>Seeing as Gilles has put in some excellent work on the GPS plugin, I'm
>>eager to start GPSing my photos (especially my skiing/boarding holidays
>>etc.).
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a nice, compact, linux friendly GPS device?
>>
>>I don't really know where to begin with GPS on linux support, so figure
>>here is a good place to ask :)
>
> This one :
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp
>
> can be used like a USB mass storage media and of course you can normally get
> GPS track file easily under linux.

If you want more than just adding picture location, you could have a
look at Garmin Etrex * Cx models. There is support under linux for these
models (waypoints, tracks, routes) except for uploading maps where
windows is still needed (but this could be done once, except if you
travel around the world all time :) ).
The cx models allow you to store all tracks as gpx files into the
micro-sd card and they can be seen as a mass-storage device.

--
Fabien